Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A little makeup goes a long way!

I love vintage ads, and when I came across this one, I had to share it with you all. It's just a feel-good kind of picture and is nostalgic in all the right I-love-the-50s kind of way. It also reminded me of my new "career" as a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant, which is another reason that I haven't been blogging as regularly these last couple of months.

As an ex-teacher, the sudden change from spending my entire day interacting with 180+ people  to spending my entire days at home, usually alone, has become a source of welcome boredom. Not that I can't find anything to do around the house, because there is always more than enough work to be done in one way or another, but I have really missed the socialization that comes along with teaching. This desire to find an outlet  that would allow me to interact with others, coupled with my intense love for all cosmetics, made me realize that being a beauty consultant could really be a nice fit for me.  While I have only been doing this for about a month now, I have already discovered that I LOVE it, and wish I had thought about starting my own Mary Kay business much earlier.

I love the fact that I can socialize with people, help them pamper themselves a little, and teach other women ways that they can use cosmetics to help them feel better about themselves. I have had several ladies thank me for the individual attention they receive and for taking the time to show them how things should be correctly applied.  It also continues to amaze me that so many women are going through life incorrectly applying their cosmetics! I have definitely learned to not assume anything. (A fact that you would think would have stuck with me from my teaching experiences.)  Just because I know how to apply eyeliner, or how to do facial highlighting doesn't mean that everyone else does...a fact that I had never had reason to consider until recently. I can't believe how many women are out there, every morning, religiously and regularly--yet ineffectively--applying their makeup!

It's kind of funny, because even though I'm no longer teaching Spanish, I am still teaching...complete with charts, booklets, diagrams and more! I cracked myself up just last week while drawing an eyeshadow tutorial on a dry-erase board, and by using different colors of markers to depict the varying intensity of eye shading. Then it occurred to me--maybe I should put-together handouts and do a class on the "smokey eye" look...??  Hmm...

I know it's such a silly thing to feel like I am actually helping people by teaching them how to properly use cosmetics, but I can't help but feel like maybe in a very small way, I am still making the world a better place, (though I am no longer teaching) even if it is one lipstick at a time...

By the way, if any of you are interested in checking out any of our neat interactive tools, like the Virtual Makeover or our interactive eCatalog, you can visit me at www.marykay.com/lianaharris. Shipping is always free!

1 comment:

  1. Oops, made a comment then flitted off and don't think it went through. Just laughing about the amount of make up it takes to look 'natural'.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...